SANTA ANA, Calif.—Yokohama Tire Corp. is extending its Advan ultra-high-performance tire line for the second time this year with the launch of the Advan Apex 601, a Y speed-rated maximum-grip tire developed for the North American marketplace.
The Apex—the seventh iteration of the Advan UHP line—goes on sale Aug. 1 with 44 sizes available, covering 17- to 20-inch rim diameter fitments. YTC in April added the Advan Fleva V701, a V and W speed-rated summer tire targeted at car owners looking to "elevate" their driving experience.
Drawing on performance parameters offered by "iconic" Yokohama UHP tires such as the A008, AVS Intermediate, AVS Sport and Advan Sport V105, the Apex offers enhanced wet and dry performance, while providing a refined experience for a wide range of sports cars, high-end performance vehicles and American muscle cars, YTC said.
"The Advan Apex is…engineered for performance-driven enthusiasts who truly enjoy the drive," Duane Sampson, Yokohama product marketing manager, said.
Among the performance attributes Yokohama ascribes to the Apex are:
- Maximum grip, thanks micro silica in a wide outside rib block devoid of lateral grooves that creates near seamless contact with the road for maximum cornering performance;
- Enhanced wet performance tied to three inside grooves;
- Optimal dry handling, thanks to improved dissipation of heat generated by high lateral loads through a narrow outside groove;
- Enhanced high-speed stability tied to an uninterrupted center rib;
- Extended tread life thanks to the micro-silica compound and rounded ribs that optimize contact pressure with the road to reduce uneven wear; and
- Quiet ride thanks to "optimized" groove angles.
Sizing starts at 225/45R17 94Y and runs through 305/30R20 103Y.
YTC is backing the Apex with a 25,000-mile limited treadwear warranty. YTC did not disclose pricing information.
Other versions of the Advan line available in North America are the Advan A052; Neova AD08R; Sport V105; Sport ZPS; and Sport A/S.