BRUSSELS—Ninety-two percent of all end-of-life tires in Europe in 2017 were collected and used for either material recycling or energy recovery, according to a report from the European Tyre and Rubber Manufacturers' Association.
This compares with recent annual findings of a recycling-recovery rate of 93 percent to 95 percent in Europe, the ETRMA said in a Nov. 19 press release.
The ETRMA consolidated data from 32 nations—including the European Union, Norway, Serbia, Switzerland and Turkey—to reach the 92 percent figure. The remaining 8 percent of tires could not be tracked down, it said.
By weight, some 1.96 million metric tons of scrap tires went to material recovery, according to the ETRMA.
This included 1.47 million tons granulated to recover their rubber, steel and textiles; 326,000 tons in cement from the co-processing of tires in cement kilns; 105,000 tons in civil engineering applications; and some minor amounts for pyrolysis, steel mills, foundries and other applications.