WASHINGTON—Continental Tire North America L.L.C. is recalling 11,728 Continental- and General-brand SUV tires to recover roughly 39 that are suspected of having been overcured and could present a safety risk.
The tires being recalled were produced at Conti's plant in Mount Vernon, Ill., in July and August and carry 20 different brand and line identities.
Conti suspects 39 of the tires subject to recall were overcured, leaving them susceptible to a sidewall break or belt-edge separation, which could lead to a sudden air loss or tread/belt loss. Either condition can cause a loss of vehicle control, increasing the risk of a crash, Conti said in a notice published by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
The tires being recalled were sold both as original equipment and for replacement market sale.
Continental will notify the owners who purchased the tires as replacement equipment. The vehicle makers that received the tires for OE fitment will conduct recalls to cover those tires, Conti said.
The tires will be inspected to verify that they are affected, and will be replaced as necessary, free of charge. Owners may contact Continental Tire customer service at 888-799-2168.
The tires being recalled all are marked with the Mount Vernon DOT plant ID of A3 and also are marked:
- Continental ProContact TX P205/55R16 with date code 2420 and mold number 416290;
- Continental ProContact TX 215/60R16 with date code 3320 and mold number 419149;
- Continental ProContact P215/60R16 with date code 2220 and mold numbers 214574, 214571, 404245, or 214573;
- Continental ProContact GX P225/60R17 with date code 0120 and mold number 218037;
- Continental CrossContact LX Sport 235/65R18 with date code 0220 and mold numbers 418538 or 415347;
- Continental CrossContact LX Sport 245/50R20 with date code 2920 and mold numbers 421921 or 421920;
- Continental CrossContact LX Sport 255/50R20 with date code 1020 and mold number 416221;
- Continental CrossContact LX20 EcoPlus+ 255/55R20 with date code 0220 and mold number 421238, DOT code 0120 and mold number 421241, date code 0820 and mold number 421236 or date code 0420 and mold number 421246
- General Reliatrek 205/55R16 date code 1120 and mold numbers 419193 or 419442;
- General Reliatrek HT 275/65R18 with date code 0420 and mold number 421380;
- General Altimax RT43 225/60R18 with date code 2220 and mold number 409762 or date code 2420 and mold number 409762;
- General Altimax RT43 235/55R19 with date code 1120 and mold number 415663;
- General Grabber HTS60 225/75R16 with date code 2720 and mold number 412441;
- General Grabber HTS60 LT275/70R18 with date code 0520 and mold numbers 413243 or 412872;
- General Grabber HTS 255/70R17 with date code 3020 and mold number 418570;
- General Grabber AT2 265/70R16 with date code 2820 and mold numbers 069114 or 075987;
- General Grabber X3 35 X 12.50R20 with date code 1120 and mold number 415373 or date code 1220 and mold number 415373;
- General Grabber HD LT245/75R17 with date code 2420 and mold number 416034;
- General Grabber A/TX LT275/70R18 with date code 2420 and mold number 417330 or 417331; and
- General Grabber A/TX LT315/70R17 with date code 2520 and mold number 41739.