CHATTANOOGA, Tenn.—Coker Tire Co. has added the Avon Tyres brand to its portfolio of vintage car tire brands for the U.S., calling it an "excellent option" for owners of European sports cars and vintage American trucks from the 1940s to the 1980s.
Avon is a Cooper Tire & Rubber Co. brand, which the U.S. tire maker acquired in 1997 in its purchase of then-independent British tire maker Avon Tyres Ltd.
Universal Vintage Tire Co. of Hershey, Pa., also distributes the Avon brand in the U.S.
Avon is one of two dozen brands Coker Tire offers. Other brands that Coker markets for European car marques include Dunlop, Phoenix and Vredestein.
Coker Tire now offers Avon tires in the following styles:
- Avon Turbospeed—A line of speed-rated bias-ply and radial tires, designed for original equipment fitment on sports cars and luxury sedans from the 1940s through the 1970s. The Turbospeed line features nine sizes to fit 13-, 15- and 16-inch wheels, with speed ratings of S, H and V, depending on tire size.
- Avon Turbosteel—A steel-belted high-performance radial for 15- and 16-inch wheels and 70- and 80-series aspect ratios, with sizes for vintage sports cars and luxury sedans such as Rolls-Royce and Bentley. H and V speed ratings are available.
- Avon Tourist—For original sports cars and classic cars, thanks to the classic appearance. These tires feature a bias-ply construction with two sizing options, 550-16 and 600-16.
- Avon Super Safety—A speed-rated bias-ply tire for sports cars available in one size, 640-15, and an H speed rating.
- Avon Traction Mileage—"Authentic" off-road tire for vintage Land Rover and classic Chevrolet, Ford and Dodge trucks. Available in sizes 600-16 and 700-16.