But he looked at her business card, she said, and he asked her if she owned the company she worked with at the time, later adding that he could help her if she owned at least 51 percent.
"I said, 'No, not all of it,' " she said with a laugh. "I didn't own a thing."
Luckett said the experience pushed her to start her own companies.
"I went in partnership with a company that I was working for. I opened up a small company where I owned 51 percent, and he owned 49 percent. And we started to build it," she said.
In 2013, Luckett founded New Continent Enterprises Inc., which was acquired by Halcyon Agri Corp. Ltd. in 2014. In 2016, she founded Southland Rubber Inc. in the U.S.
And in 2017, she started Simko North America.
Luckett owns 51 percent of the company. The other 49 percent is owned by her Argentina-based partner, Eduardo Simko.
Simko's father, Pablo Simko, started Simko S.A. in the 1950s as a rubber importer for Latin America.
The company continues under his son Eduardo, and the overall group has offices in Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Mexico, Brazil, the U.S., Canada, Germany and China.
Today, the North American unit comprises 12 women working in Colorado. The company works with three major tire makers, a number of mid-tier and automotive parts manufacturers and "has fingers" in the tape industry.
"We just have a good model," Luckett said, noting SNA has two types of businesses. "One works very well with the major tire manufacturers, where they basically are in control and we are their partners. And then on the other side, with the smaller folks, we just are their full-service global supply chain partner."
As a WBENC-certified WBE, SNA can "help rubber manufacturers provide diversity spend to automotive and government entities," the company says on its website.
Luckett said the benefits of being WBE-certified are "invaluable," adding that it raises companies' profiles with access to training programs.
And since receiving the recognition as Exceptional Supplier of the Year, SNA has been approached by a "major auto company" for help with its EV supply chain.