HANOVER, Germany--German auto supply giant Continental A.G. says it still is investigating a cyberattack on its operations in August, adding that it will take "several more weeks" to deal with the hack.
The company updated its probe into the event in a post on its website on Dec. 12, including a timeline of the attack and the aftermath, as well as information about the ongoing investigation.
The post consists of eight questions and answers aimed primarily at its own employees. It states that, as an employer, the company is doing everything it can "to analyze and evaluate the data with regard to the possible exposure of sensitive personal data."
It is the first time since the attack became known in August that Continental has made a public announcement about the status of the investigation. The company's more than $22 billion in annual global sales includes rubber seals, hoses, belts and tires among other functional components.
The supplier first revealed the attack to the public in August. At the time, it said the attack had been averted.
German business newspaper Handelsblatt reported in early November that the hackers had stolen around 40 terabytes of data from the company.
The theft was said to include sensitive data from customers such as Volkswagen Group, information on supervisory board meetings and correspondence from Chief Controller Wolfgang Reitzle.
Active and former employees were also affected, according to the report.
A list of the stolen data published by the hackers on the darknet suggests that personal data such as salary letters, ID cards, job application letters and birth certificates fell into the hands of the cybercriminals.