MILAN—Pirelli & C. S.p.A. named nine suppliers as the recipients for its Pirelli Supplier Awards 2018, pulled from a supply chain of more than 10,000.
The recipients—in the areas of raw materials, services and machinery—were chosen for their ability to support the Pirelli supply chain its goals of sustainability and excellence, according to a company news release.
Honored companies were:
- Glanzstoff Sicrem S.p.A. of Italy, suppliers of textile reinforcements, was awarded for quality and speed criteria, as well as the sustainability prize. The company produces rayon using only cellulose from plantations certified for sustainable agro-forestry management;
- JSR Corp. of Japan, supplier of synthetic rubber, was awarded for innovation and service level;
- Thai Eastern Innovation Co. Ltd. of Thailand, PT. Kirana Megatara Tbk of Indonesia, and PT. Prasidha Aneka Niaga Tbk of Indonesia, all suppliers of natural rubber, were awarded for quality and service level;
- VMI Holland B.V. of Holland, supplier of tire assemblers and machines for semi-processed components, was awarded for the criteria of quality and global presence;
- MDM of Italy, an integrated marketing and communication agency, was awarded for the criteria of innovation and speed;
- Appian Corp. of the U.S., a supplier of the Business Process Management platform and consultancy services, was awarded for the criteria of innovation and speed; and
- Warehouse Service Inc., a logistics services supplier, was awarded for the criteria of speed and innovation.
Pirelli's procurement involves about 10,000 suppliers for a total expenditure of about $3.7 billion in 2017, mainly on raw materials (about 46 percent), services (36 percent), machinery (13 percent) and consumption materials (3 percent).
Pirelli's efforts toward a sustainable purchasing system were recognized by the confirmation that its supply system was in compliance with UNI ISO 20400, conferred in February 2018 by SGS Italia S.p.A., a global inspection, verification, analysis and certification company.