WASHINGTON—Michelin, Pirelli and Continental were the most prominent brands among recommended tires in Consumer Reports' 2018 tire ratings.
CR selects different categories of tires every year for testing, and ranks them according to factors including tread life, dry and wet braking, handling, hydroplaning, ride comfort, noise and rolling resistance.
CR's recommended tires for this year, according to category, are as follows:
- All-Season Tires: Michelin Defender, Continental TrueContact, General Altimax RT 43 (T), Pirelli P4 Four Seasons Plus.
- Performance All-Season Tires: Continental PureContact (H), Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus (H), Michelin Premier A/S (H).
- Ultra-High-Performance All-Season Tires: Michelin pilot Sport A/S 3+, Pirelli P Zero All Season Plus, Continental ExtremeContact DW506, BFGoodrich g-Force COMP-2 A/S.
- Ultra-High-Performance Summer Tires: Michelin Pilot Super Sport, Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3, Nokian zLine, Yokohama ADVAN Sport V105, Pirelli P Zero.
- All-Season Truck Tires: Continental CrossContact LX20 EcoPlus, Michelin Premier LTX, Firestone Destination LE 2, Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season Plus, Michelin Defender LTX M/S.
- All-Terrain Truck Tires: Continental TerrainContact A/T, Michelin LTX A/T 2, Goodyear Wrangler TrailRunner AT, Yokohama Geolandar A/T G015, Nexen Roadian AT Pro RAB, Falken WildPeak A/T AT3W.
- Winter/Snow Tires: Michelin X-Ice XI3, Nokian Hakkapeliita R2, Bridgestone Blizzak WS80, Cooper Weather-Master WSC, Toyo Observe G3-ICE, Continental WinterContact SI.