JASPER, Ga.—Quality Synthetic Rubber Inc. is taking the next step with one of its biggest customers.
The firm's plant in Jasper was just certified Q1 by Ford Motor Co., making it a preferred supplier to the Detroit 3 original equipment manufacturer. The designation goes to those suppliers who meet rigorous quality standards and are in turn given the exclusive option to bid on new business.
Q1 is only awarded to specific Tier 1 manufacturing locations, not suppliers as a whole entity. QSR also produces automotive parts at its Twinsburg, Ohio, location, but the firm said Jasper is the only QSR site to supply as a Tier 1.
"It's something we worked on over the last couple of years," QSR President Mike Berry said. "We had the TS and ISO certification for a long period of time, but I think this Q1 does differentiate us somewhat. The standards are quite high in quality, delivery and service. It's a small group of people and we're pretty proud of the Jasper crew for pulling this off."
Jasper employs about 240 at its 110,000 sq.-ft. plant. About 85 percent of its business comes from spark plug boots and rubber products for ignition systems. The other 15 percent is electrical connecting cable seals, which Plant Manager Matt Ledford said is overwhelmingly the largest product line throughout the company with the Twinsburg site as the primary location for that product.
About 85 percent of Jasper's products are silicone molded, with some ignition components made from EPDM.