DALLAS—Goodyear has recognized the charitable contributions of the Cornwall, Ontario-based Benson Group, naming the firm its 2015 “Put More Good On The Road Award” winner.
Goodyear presented owner Marty Benson with the award Jan. 25 during its annual Goodyear Dealer Conference at the Gaylord Texan Resort & Convention Center in Grapevine, Texas. In receiving the recognition, Benson collected a crystal plaque and a check for $10,000 to be presented to the charity of his choice—the Monsignor Rudy Villeneuve Foundation, which provides annual scholarships for students to pursue post-secondary education.
The Goodyear Put More Good On The Road project is an annual recognition of the tire maker's North American tire dealers, seeking to spotlight those who best represent their profession through examples of giving back to their communities and, effectively, Goodyear said. An independent judging group reviews the nominations for the award.
Benson Group, which employs more than 1,600 across Ontario and Quebec, is a family-operated company that has been in business since 1953. It operates more than 100 locations, which include Benson Auto Service, Benson Auto Parts, Benson Tire, Beverly Tire & Auto, Jiffy Auto Service and Auto-Pneu Paco.
Some of the charitable activities in which Benson Group participates include:
• The founding of the Community Action Group of Cornwall, which it said promotes prosperity, affordable taxes for all and a healthy environment.
• The founding of the Joint Vision-Quest for a University for Cornwall, Akwesasne and the United Counties.
• Annual sponsorship, since 2002, of the Benson Charity Golf Classic, which raises funds through golf, a dinner, silent auction and entertainment. This event raised $40,000 in 2014, with all proceeds going to high school students who cannot afford post-secondary education.
• Working with the City of Cornwall to develop “The Benson Centre,” a state-of-the-art recreation facility with indoor ice rinks, a field house for soccer and track, tennis courts, fitness facilities and multiple-use rooms.
• Sponsoring barbecues at local Benson stores to benefit the Cornwall Community Hospital Foundation.
• Establishing the Benson Automotive Learning Centre at St. Lawrence College.
• Organizing food drives and charity hockey games to support St. Vincent De Paul Society.
Benson Group supports other local charity groups and encourages its location managers to get involved in community events and support charitable causes as part of their daily responsibilities.
“Just as Goodyear manages numerous support programs that include literacy, environmental, safety, youth and overall social awareness activities, we also know that many of our Goodyear retailers do the same in their local communities,” said Andy Traicoff, Goodyear's vice president, consumer operations and customer development.
“In this spirit, we created the Put More Good On The Road program, and we are thrilled to provide this award to the Benson Group, a deserving tire dealership that has a big impact through giving back to the community where it does business.”