Wacker Chemie A.G. has introduced various new, silicone products.
- Genioplast Pellet P plus is a high-performance additive for the compounding and processing of thermoplastics. Genioplast Pellet P plus improves the viscosity and flow properties of the polymer compound, allowing the compound to be processed more efficiently and at a lower cost, Wacker said. It ensures smooth, easy-to-clean surfaces, it said.
- Elastosil Film, an extra thin and immaculate film, is available as roll stock in thicknesses down to 20 microns. It is manufactured in clean room conditions without the use of solvents. Elastosil Film can be used as an electroactive polymer. Under certain conditions, EAPs can alter shape when a voltage is applied.
- Elastosil R 781/80 is a silicone rubber filled with tiny magnetic particles—roughly 10 micrometers in size—that are made of ferrimagnetic magnetite material. These are firmly integrated into the silicone rubber matrix and are capable of being magnetized in the presence of a strong magnetic or electromagnetic field, Wacker said. Together with other magnets, this magnetic effect is particularly pronounced. The new silicone elastomer offers diverse application possibilities. The cured silicone is heat-resistant and withstands temperatures ranging from -40°C to +200°C.
- Elastosil LR 3022/60 is a silicone rubber for making seals suited for cooling systems. The addition-cure liquid silicone rubber features a very low compression set. The silicone rubber's lasting resilience ensures consistently high leak-tightness in the seal groove, Wacker said. Molded parts made of the new silicone grade can be used as seals or gaskets even when they are directly exposed to hot coolants. The silicone rubber exhibits good low-temperature flexibility down to -45°C. With this combination of temperature and coolant resistance, it offers an alternative to organic elastomers, according to the company.
- Elastosil R 756 is available in solid silicone rubber grades designed so their properties unfold by interaction with the heat stabilizers added to the base rubber during the compounding process. The thermal stability of the vulcanizate is influenced by the type and amount of the chosen stabilizer. The new grades can be processed via compression molding, injection molding or extrusion. The latter method, however, requires the use of a suitable heat stabilizer that is compatible with the crosslinker. Elastosil R 756 can be used both as a base rubber blend without additives and as a ready-to-process compound that already contains effective heat stabilizers, Wacker said.
- Lumisil LR 7600 is a product range consisting of liquid silicone rubber grades that cure to form highly transparent elastomers. Unlike highly transparent thermoplastics such as polycarbonate and polymethyl methacrylate, Lumisil LR 7600 does not tend to yellow, but remains colorless even at high temperatures and under long-term exposure to artificial or natural light, including ultraviolet radiation, Wacker said. In combination with light emitting diodes, new designs and housing structures are possible. The product enables the development of energy- and cost-efficient solutions such as general lighting and car headlights, the firm said.
For information on Wacker products, go to www.wacker.com.
Laur Silicone Inc. has released its Laur FR-21XX and FR-31XX series, which are both materials designed specifically to meet the need for stringent flame inhibition requirements of JL 94 V-0. The FR-21XX and FX-31XX series of materials are built to be cost effective, Laur said, while maintaining flame retardancy.
The flame retardant properties are achieved using technology without the need of polybrominated diphenyl ethers, hexabromocyclodecane addictives, nor other brominated compounds. These silicone rubber compounds are characterized by moderate tensile strength, tear strength and good heat aging properties.
For more information, go to www.laursilicone.com/product.cfm
Cabot Corp. has launched Cab-O-Sil Clarus 3160 fumed silica, a hydrophilic product for liquid silicone rubber applications. The fumed silica is designed to improve performance in clear silicone rubber, the company said, by providing a high level of reinforcement without sacrificing transparency and with minimal discoloration due to aging.
Cabot developed Clarus 3160 fumed silica to address regional demand in Asia-Pacific for a high performance additive, specifically targeting compounders that prefer high surface area fumed silica.
The company claims the high structure and surface area, nominally 400 m2/g, can deliver up to a 10-percent improvement in transmission, leading to greater clarity, and up to a 30-percent reduction in yellowing upon aging when compared to lower surface area alternatives typically used in this application.
For more information, visit www.cabotcorp.com.
Copyright © 2019 Crain Communications Inc. All Rights Reserved.