WASHINGTON—Michelin topped the list of preferred tire brands in Consumer Reports' annual "Best and Worst Cars" issue.
In the CR issue dated April 2013, Michelin came in first in five of the nine tire categories the magazine tested, and placed in three of the others. Michelin also is first in three of the four categories CR listed for "The Best Gas-Saving Tires."
CR tested more than 180 tire models this year for wet grip, fuel efficiency, treadwear, hydroplaning resistance, ride comfort, noise and other factors on a 0-100 scale, the magazine said.
The listings are:
* Performance all-season, H-speed rated: Michelin Primacy MXV4, 70; Continental PureContact, 68; Nexen CP672, 66.
* Performance all-season, V-speed rated: Continental PureContact, 70; Pirelli P7 Cinturato All-Season, 68; Michelin Primacy MXV4, 66.
* All-season, T-speed rated: Michelin Defender, 70; Continental ProContact EcoPlus, 68; Goodyear Assurance TripleTred All-Season, 66; Pirelli P4 Four Seasons, 64; Michelin Energy Saver A/S, 64; Yokohama Avid Ascend, 64.
* Winter tires: Michelin X-Ice Xi3, 62; Michelin X-Ice Xi2, 62; Hankook Winter I*Cept Evo, 60; Pirelli Winter 210 Sottozero Serie II, 58; Uniroyal Tiger Paw Ice & Snow II, 58; Bridgestone Blizzak W570, 58.
* All-season light truck tires: Michelin LTX M/52, 72; Michelin X Radial LT2, 72; Continental CrossContact LX20 EcoPlus, 72; Michelin Latitude Tour HP, 72; Michelin Latitude Tour, 72.
* All-terrain tires: Cooper Discoverer A/T3, 66; Michelin LTX A/T2, 64; Hankook Dynapro ATM, 64; Kumho Road Venture AT KL78, 64; Kumho Road Venture SAT KL61, 64.
* Winter tires for SUVs and trucks: Continental ExtremeWinterContact, 68; General Altimax Arctic, 66; Michelin Latitude X-Ice Xi2, 66; Yokohama Geolandar I/T G072, 66.
* Ultra-high-performance all-season tires: Pirelli P-Zero Nero All-Season, 82; Cooper Zeon RS3-A, 82; Sumitomo HTR A/S P01, 82.
* Ultra-high-performance summer tires: Michelin Pilot Super Sport, 90; Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric, 82; Dunlop SP Sport Maxx GT, 82; Michelin Pilot Sport PS2, 82.
* Best gas-saving all-season, T-speed rated: Michelin Energy Saver A/S, 64; Cooper GFE, 58.
* Best gas-saving performance all-season, H-speed rated: Michelin Primacy MXV4, 70; Dunlop SP Sport 7000 A/S, 60; Bridgestone Ecopia EP422, 52.
* Best gas-saving performance all-season, V-speed rated: Bridgestone Ecopia EP422, 52.
* Best gas-saving winter tire: Michelin X-Ice Xi3, 62.
Jake Fisher, CS director of auto testing, and CS Automotive Editor Rik Paul presented the magazine's 2013 car and tire ratings in a presentation at the National Press Club Feb. 26.