HILTON HEAD ISLAND, S.C.—The role of tires in the Mars Science Laboratory Curiosity Rover Cruise Mission Landing will be the topic of the keynote speech at the 29th Annual Clemson University Tire Industry Conference.
Bobak Ferdowski, American systems engineer at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory, will be the speaker at the April 25 luncheon for the event, which will take place April 24-26 at the Westin Hilton Head Resort & Spa on Hilton Head Island.
The conference will feature a wide range of topics, including technology, industry advocacy, new products, environmental issues, chemicals and raw materials.
Other speakers and topics at the annual event will include:
* Jacob Peled, Pelmar Engineering Ltd., speaking on "Aircraft Tire Production: New Horizons";
* Dennis McGavis, Goodyear, "Environmental Strategy: Goodyear's and the Tire Industry's Sustainability Efforts to Date";
* James A. Popio, Smithers Rapra, The Current State of the National Rolling Resistance Alignment Laboratory."
* John Adcox, Clemson University, "Experimental Validation of the Interaction of Anti-Lock Braking Systems with Tire Torsional Dynamics."
* John Reese, Cabot Corp., "Cabot Reinforcement Materials Development: A New Series of Low Hysteresis Products for Various Tire Tread Applications."
* Dennis M. Byrne, University of Akron, "The Economy, International Trade and the Tire Industry."
* Tracey Norberg, Rubber Manufacturers Association, speaking on a topic to be announced.
* Roy Littlefield, Tire Industry Association, "Where Does the Presidential Election and the Fiscal Cliff Leave the Tire Industry?"
* Pascal Couasnon, Michelin, topic to be announced.
* R. Christopher Napier, ExxonMobil Corp., "11th Worldwide Tire Survey, Tire Rolling Resistance."
* Joshua Guilliams, Lanxess Corp., "Bromobutyl Rubber: Enhanced Tire Traction and Safety Performance."
* Douglas J. Major, Sumitomo Rubber Industries Ltd., "Designing Tire Materials for the Future: Simulation at the Nano Level."
* J.D. Wang, reRubber L.L.C., "Fine Mesh Rubber Markets."
* Mark A. Weih, Terramix, "Investigation and Performance of Model Tire Compounds Incorporating Devulcanized Rubber Based on Styrene-Butadiene Rubber, Polyisoprene Rubber and Natural Rubber."
Truck tires and other products will comprise the agenda on April 26. Besides Jacob Peled, the speakers will be:
* Patrick Keating, Yokohama Tire Corp., "Taking it to the Streets: Yokohama's Experience with Using Web Tools for End-User Education;"
* Robert Braswell, American Trucking Associations' Technology Maintenance Council, "User-Driven Successes at Developing voluntary Best Practices for Commercial Tire Maintenance, Specification and Management;"
* Al Cohn, "Commercial Truck Tires: Maximizing Tire Removal Miles, Increasing Vehicle Fuel Economy & Maximizing Retreadability;" and
* Anvar Buranov, NovaBioRubber Green Technologies Inc., "Commercialization of a New Green Technology for Processing Taraxacum kok-saghyz (Russian Dandelion)."
A discount for preregistration by Jan. 31 is available, and a special room rate at the Westin hotel has been arranged. Call 800-258-1017 for more information, or visit http://odce.clemson.edu/pdf/TireConference2012.pdf.