LOS ANGELES (June 17, 2011)—Toyota Motor Corp., moving to rebuild stockpiles depleted by the March earthquake in Japan, said output of all vehicles produced in North America will return to normal levels in September.
Based on U.S. sales data through May, that represents about 68 percent of Toyota's total U.S. sales volume across all its brands. The remaining 32 percent comes from Japan—and is expected to be imported at full volume by November, the auto maker said.
Eight of the company's 12 North America-built models returned to full production capacity June 6. Those vehicles are the Toyota Avalon, Camry, Corolla, Highlander, Matrix, Sequoia, Sienna and Venza.
However, the Toyota RAV4, Tacoma and Tundra and the Lexus RX 350 are still being produced at reduced levels as the auto maker grapples with the lingering impact of the March 11 quake and tsunami.
Toyota expects its North American production capacity to remain at more than 80 percent on average through August, up from 70 percent in May. Toyota's global production is currently running at about 70 percent.