KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia (Sept. 15, 2009)—Production of natural rubber in July 2009 was recorded at 82,904 metric tons. This is 19.1 percent lower than production in July 2008 but 2.73 percent higher than June 2009.
The small holding sector contributed 92.8 percent of total production, while the estate sector contributed the remaining 7.2 percent.
Exports of Malaysian NR in July 2009 were 61,634 metric tons, a 25.3 percent fall on the same month a year ago, but 6.85 percent up on June 2009.
Standard Malaysian Rubber constituted 92.5 percent (57,005 metric tons) of total exports. Of the total SMR exported, SMR 20 accounted the highest, 54.1 percent.
A large portion of exports of natural rubber in July 2009 went to China with 23,965 metric tons, Germany 7,288 metric tons, Korea 4,512 metric tons, Brazil 3,707 metric tons, U.S 2,641 metric tons, Iran 2,016 metric tons, France 1,676 metric tons and Turkey 1,668 metric tons.
In July 2009, Malaysia imported 68,821 metric tons of NR, up by a massive 77.7 percent on the same month in 2008, but down by 10.3 percent when compared to June 2009.
The main type of rubber imported was latex concentrate which accounted for 42.4 percent of total imports during the reference month.
Domestic consumption of NR in July 2009 was 41,597 metric tons down by 5.8 percent on the same month in 2008, but up by 2.4 percent compared to June 2009.