KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia (May 15, 2009)—Malaysia's production of natural rubber in March was recorded at 47,552 metric tons, down by 38.2 percent on the same month a year ago.
The figure was also down by 34.3 percent (24,801 metric tons) when compared to February 2009.
The smallholding sector contributed 94.9 percent of total production while the estate sector, the remaining 5.1 percent.
Exports of Malaysian NR in March 2009 amounted to 49,073 metric tons a decrease of 51.2 percent when compared to the same month in 2008 and 17 percent when compared with February 2008.
In March, Malaysia imported 47,623 metric tons of NR, an increase of 2.5 percent over the same month in 2008, but down by 8.4 percent when compared to February 2009.
The main type of rubber imported was latex concentrate which accounted for 53 percent of total imports during reference month.