CHARLOTTE, N.C. (July 5) — Continental Tire North America Inc. said the National Labor Relations Board has denied the appeal by the United Steelworkers related to an unfair labor practice charge tied to Conti´s decision to close its Charlotte plant.
Conti said the NLRB concluded that the tire maker´s decision to cease tire manufacturing in Charlotte was lawful and complied with its obligations to the union. This determination is final and not subject to appeal, the company said.
Joe Stuligross, a legal spokesman for the union, said the appeal denial ends the NLRB complaint, but the USW plans to continue its class-action lawsuit against Conti, which accuses the tire maker of not upholding its obligations to retirees.
"We´re disappointed in the determination, and the union intends to continue to fight to bring justice and dignity to the workers at Continental," Stuligross said.
Conti spokesman Rick Holcomb said in a statement: "The company made every effort to negotiate an agreement with the union to continue to manufacture tires in Charlotte, but the union was simply unwilling to make the sacrifices necessary to make the plant competitive."
The USW had appealed a decision earlier this year by the NLRB in Conti´s favor. At the time, a union spokesman called the decision "unfounded" and an "abrupt reversal in position."