DEARBORN, Mich. (May 23)—Ford Motor Co. will spend about $3 billion before taxes, or $2 billion-plus after taxes, to replace all the Firestone Wilderness AT tires on its vehicles, Ford CEO Jacques Nasser said at a news conference Tuesday. While the 13 million Wilderness tires not included in August's recall "performed substantially better" on the Ford Explorer and other vehicles than the recalled tires, a combination of field data, government information and Ford's own technical analysis suggested their failure rates would exceed industry standards in the future, according to Nasser. "We simply do not have enough confidence in the future safety of these tires," he said. "It's as simple and basic and fundamental as that." John Rintamaki, Ford group vice president and chief of staff, said owners of the tires could get them replaced free through Ford and Lincoln-Mercury dealers or reimbursements of $110 to $130 per tire after going through "authorized" tire dealers. The 1½ million Wilderness AT tires used to replace last year's recalled tires will be recalled in turn, and no Firestone tires will be used as replacements, Nasser and Rintamaki said. Ford Chairman William Clay Ford Jr., whose mother was a Firestone, said the feud between Ford and Bridgestone/Firestone Inc. was "deeply disturbing" to him, but added that his family's current connection with the tire maker is only "emotional and historical."